Empower is a 6 Month, Group-Focused, Outpatient Porn Recovery Program for Youth and Adults Struggling with Pornography. (groups are not combined)
EMPOWER focuses on connection, compassion, love and personal and family empowerment as the methods of healing from Pornography, Social Media, Gaming, and other Technology Related Compulsions.
We know you love your children. You are doing more than ever trying to help them navigate boundaries, technology use, and the issues they face daily. We ask for your trust to help you and your child on this journey. It’s what we do at Utah Family Therapy, and we love doing it!
EMPOWER has a community outreach education program teaching parents, leaders, teachers, and peers how to connect and be a solution to healing. So much has changed over the past decade and society has been playing catch up in attempts to combat the issues. The strategies, techniques, and solutions that work must evolve, seems like, talking with your kids is no longer enough.
Many therapists, groups, and other porn recovery programs approach recovery by hyper-focusing on trying to change one behavior, “Stop Looking at Porn.” Of course, that’s a noble goal! But, feelings of failure, shame, and defeat dominate in times of struggle, and then “starting over” focuses on the negative. This fight for recovery has youth and young adults describing emotions of hopelessness and exhaustion.
Of course, everyone wants to know how to quit porn but fear, shame, and punishments do not create change but are alluring due to short-term compliance; a deceptive comfort that “the struggle is fixed.”
Therefore, those struggling with pornography are scared and often feel hopeless. As a result,
they are embarrassed with their challenges and almost 50% of homes report having pornography problems.https://www.webroot.com/us/en/resources/tips-articles/internet-pornography-by-the-numbers
Empower is different in our approach, see below:
EMPOWER’s Program Structure
- Weekly Group Therapy – Groups are the foundation of EMPOWER. Each Youth of EMPOWER attends group each week. Research shows that group therapy has substantial advantages over only individual therapy; Social Confidence, Peer Feedback, Motivation, Validation, Feedback, Accountability, and Leadership are a few benefits.
- Monthly Group for Parents – In this monthly support group for parents you’ll receive the strategies and support you need as you walk alongside your child in recovery. The parent’s group is powerful beyond words.
- Individual and Family Therapy Sessions – After you receive an assessment, we work with you to determine what specific individual and family therapy is needed. For some, family counseling may be weekly, and others may only need an occasional individual session.
- Rewards Program – Participants earn points for daily and weekly participation in empowering behaviors. WE DO NOT award points or count days of sobriety. Positive behaviors and individual motivation are the core of EMPOWER; leading to confidence and sober living.
Areas of Focus:
- Healthy respect, boundaries, and confidence in the topic of sexuality.
- Surrendering to a Higher Power and connecting spiritually as a fundamental aspect of healing and confidence.
- Leadership education and implementation.
- Using the right strategies to protect oneself.
- Implementing the right strategies in healing when there’s a compulsive issue.
- Setting healthy boundaries that create healing and connection rather than fear and forced compliance.
- Awareness of online and technology behaviors.
- Developing a feeling of safety and trust to discuss sexuality, pornography, sexting, and other critical topics with you.
- Feeling confident in discussing topics without fear and shame.
- Spiritual safety.
I have never had a client who cannot get around filters and rules if they are seeking pornography. The human brain is amazingly adaptable when it is desperate. This adaptability or empowerment can be channeled for good through connection and love. Those who achieve long-term change do it through individual empowerment and connecting with God.– Robert S. Robison, President of Utah Family Therapy
We understand that you may have a lot of questions like:
- How do I help them quit porn forever?
- Why do they keep looking at porn?
- How do I help them stop watching and viewing pornography?
- Why can’t they take the sacrament?
- He’s a good kid. How did he get involved in porn?
- Why won’t they talk to me?
- Can he go on a mission if he has looked at porn?
There are probably a thousand other questions you would like answered and we would gladly help you understand what’s happening in your son, daughter, husband or
“I am writing to first thank you for the excellent service you have provided [my son] over the last six months. He has learned so much from his private and group sessions, and we have noticed many new skills and positive growth overall. He has thoroughly loved the group sessions and has felt strengthened by the other young men he was blessed to participate with. We want to thank you for sharing your great knowledge and skills with us. We also thank you for your passion for empowering young men with knowledge, information, and support to help free them from the bonds of pornography and other related issues. We feel so blessed to have found your office and so grateful for our experience working with you. … He has a new confidence and perspective that is so positive and hopeful, and our bishop has also commented on how far he has come…” – (Mother of the son)
Utah Family Therapy is helping teen boys, teen girls and adults struggling with porn find hope and healing, call 801.901.0279.
(ASK US ABOUT OUR EMPOWER PROGRAM FOR ADULTS OVER 24)