EMPOWER is a group-focused, outpatient recovery program for youth and adults.
Our Program is Different
- Weekly Therapy Groups – Groups are the foundation of EMPOWER. Youth will commit to attending group each week. Research shows that group therapy has substantial advantages over only individual therapy. Social Confidence, Peer Feedback, Motivation, Validation, Feedback, Accountability, and Leadership are a few benefits.
- Monthly Group for Parents and Spouses – Receive the strategies and support you need as you walk alongside your loved one in recovery. The group share amongst parents is powerful beyond words.
- Individual and Family Therapy Sessions – After you receive an assessment, we work with you to determine what specific individual and family therapy need there are. For some, this may be weekly, and others may only need an occasional individual session.
- Rewards Program – Participants earn points for daily and weekly participation in empowering behaviors. WE DO NOT award points for or count days of sobriety. Positive behaviors and individual motivation are the core of EMPOWER. These core behaviors lead to confidence and sober living.
- Tracking – The points are tracked via self-reporting in 5 categories of connection: PHYSICAL, EMOTIONAL, SPIRITUAL, ACCOUNTABILITY, and SELF-CARE. Attending weekly group gives a double point boost.
Other Areas of Focus:
- A healthy respect, boundaries, and confidence in the topic of sexuality.
- Surrendering to a Higher Power and connecting spiritually as a fundamental aspect of healing and confidence.
- Leadership education and implementation.
- Using the right strategies to protect oneself.
- Implementing the right strategies in healing when there’s a compulsive issue.
- Setting healthy boundaries that create healing and connection rather than fear and forced compliance.
- Awareness of our children’s online and technology behaviors.
- Developing a feeling of safety and trust coming to you and discussing sexuality, pornography, sexting, and other critical topics.
- Feeling confident in discussing topics without fear and shame.
- Spiritual safety.
“Filters and accountability programs alone DO NOT work. Having worked with 100s of clients, I have never had one who cannot get around filters and rules if they are seeking pornography. The human brain is amazingly adaptable when it is desperate. This adaptability or empowerment can be channeled for good through connection and love. Those who achieve long-term change do it through individual empowerment and connecting with God.” – Robert S. Robison, President of Utah Family Therapy
Comments We Received From Youth We Work With
When asked the question:
If you had no fear, what would you want your parents and church leaders to REALLY know about your pornography issues?
“I already know I shouldn’t look at porn. I’m sick of people telling me how much it will harm me. I already know…, I already feel like crap.”
“I don’t know what to do. I guess I have just given up because it seems like nothing works.” (First therapy session)
“That I actually like looking at porn but I hate it more than like it. Does that make sense? That would freak my parents out if I said that I think.”
“I’m sick of them asking me how I’m doing. But if I don’t just go along with it they will take my phone away.”
“If they actually knew how much I was using porn they would freak!”
“…I know they care and stuff… but its so annoying when I tell them and they try and fix the problem. It’s almost easier NOT to say anything to them even though I know I should.”
“If I’m going to be kept from my mission (LDS Mission) I feel like lying.”
“To trust that I’m really improving and have confidence in me. I’m in therapy and really doing this. I’m doing better than I have ever done.”
Why do you keep it a secret or fear opening up?
“I’m scared they will take away my phone.”
“I’m tired seeing that look on Mom’s face when I screw up.”
“I hate being told I’m not worthy to take the Sacrament.”
“I don’t. They are super easy to talk to. If anything, I don’t open up because of my own fear.”
Utah Family Therapy • 801.901.0279
(ASK US ABOUT OUR EMPOWER PROGRAM FOR ADULTS OVER 24)